Newburyport Adult Adoption Lawyer
At Turco Legal, our Newburyport adult adoption attorney has the professional skill that you can count on. Adult adoption is permissible in Massachusetts, but there are certain requirements that must be met to get your adoption petition approved. If you have any specific questions or concerns about the adult adoption process in Massachusetts, we are more than ready to help. For a completely confidential initial consultation with a top Massachusetts adoption attorney, contact our Newburyport law office today.
Adult Adoption Explained
Are you considering an adult adoption? You are far from alone. Many more people opt for adult adoptions than is commonly understood. In some ways, adult adoption is similar to the adoption of a minor. It creates a legally valid, formal parent-child relationship between the petitioner (adoptive parent) and the adoptee. The key difference is that the adoptee is already of legal age and therefore issues concerning the rights of the biological parents are no longer relevant.
People move forward with adult adoptions for both personal reasons and practical reasons. To start, an adult adoption creates a lawful parent-child relationship. In other words, it formalizes an existing relationship. That can be extremely important and meaningful for many people. An adult adoption also has practical legal ramifications. As an example, the adoptee will become a lawful heir of their adoptive parent—no different than any other biological child.
What to Know About the Adult Adoption Laws in Massachusetts
There is a clear process in place for adult adoptions in Massachusetts. It is more complicated than simply filing a few forms to formalize the parent-child relationship. Courts in Massachusetts do not simply “rubber stamp” adult adoptions. There are certain requirements that must be met for the process to move forward. Here are key things to know about adult adoptions in Massachusetts.
- Adoptee Must Be Younger and Not the Spouse: Not every adult can adopt any other adult in Massachusetts. The prospective adoptee must be younger than the prospective adoptive parent who is filing the adult adoption petition. Beyond that, adult adoptions are prohibited if the prospective adoptive child and parent are married.
- Consent of Both Parties Is Required: An adult adoption petition can only move forward in Massachusetts if both adults are supportive of the process. In Massachusetts, an adoption of a person who is 12 years old or older requires their consent. An adult adoption is no exception to this rule.
- The Spouse of Either Party Could Stop the Adoption: If either the adoptive parent or the adoptee adult is married, it could impact the adoption process. First, the spouse of a prospective adoptive parent generally must also join the adoption. The spouse of the proposed adoptee child does not have to join the process, but they must give consent.
- Parental Fitness Is Not an Issue: A central difference between adult adoption and the adoption of a minor relates to the biological parents’ parental rights. Parental rights/fitness—and the Massachusetts best interests of the child legal standard—are not relevant in adult adoptions. An adoptive parent does not need to prove that they can provide a good home environment.
- A Statement of Parent-Child Relationship Is Mandatory: Massachusetts requires the parties to an adult adoption petition to submit an affidavit swearing to the legitimate existence of a not-yet-legally-recognized parent-child relationship. In effect, this means that an explanation as to why the adult adoption is being pursued is required.
You Can Count on the Newburyport Adult Adoption Attorney at Turco Legal
The adult adoption process in Massachusetts can be complex and confusing. It is normal to have a lot of questions. At Turco Legal, we are here to answer your questions, explain your rights, and determine the best solution for your needs and goals. When you call our Newburyport legal office, you have a chance to work with a Massachusetts adult adoption attorney who can:
- Conduct a comprehensive review and evaluation of your case;
- Help you organize all of the documents, records, and information you need;
- Take care of the adult adoption paperwork and legal filings; and,
- Develop a strategy to help you overcome any challenges that may arise.
Schedule a Confidential Consultation with Our Adult Adoption Lawyer Today
At Turco Legal, our Newburyport adult adoption attorney is standing by, ready to help you and your loved ones navigate the adult adoption process. If you need assistance with an adult adoption case, our legal team is here as a resource. Contact us at (978) 225-9030 to arrange your completely private initial consultation. We provide adult adoption legal services in Newburyport, Essex County, and throughout Eastern Massachusetts.