Turco Muñoz Supporting Domestic Violence Survivors Scholarship
Domestic violence, in its many forms, is more common than you probably realize. It typically occurs behind closed doors, out of the eye of the public. Out of fear, embarrassment, financial dependency or a variety of other reasons, survivors often keep the abuse a secret.
The numbers are eye-opening. Here are a few, courtesy of the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. About twenty people per minute are physically abused in the United States by an intimate partner. That’s one instance every three seconds. One in five women has been raped during their lifetime and one in fifteen children has been exposed to partner violence.
Moreover, worsening the problem worse, victims of intimate partner violence have higher rates of sexually transmitted diseases, reproductive health issues, depression, and suicidal behavior. This is a problem that needs more smart minds dedicated to its solution.
Empowerment through Education
The Turco Muñoz Supporting Domestic Violence Survivors Scholarship helps the cause by supporting the education of those who intend to professionally help with the domestic violence crisis. We help by annually paying a $1,000 tuition payment to the school of the scholarship winner.
Candidates must meet these minimum eligibility requirements:
- Must have some victim advocacy experience serving DV survivors. For example, experiences as a victim advocate, family law paralegal, social worker, investigator, or other employee of an organization whose mission is to serve domestic violence survivors.
- Must be enrolled in either (1) a law school or (2) undergraduate or graduate program with a focus in a relevant field of study.
- Must have a genuine intention to focus your career after graduation to serving survivors of domestic violence.
Candidates must submit the following documents for their applications to be complete.
- Application Form
- Letter of Recommendation from a current or former employer, mentor, or professor
Method of Application and Submission Period
- Applicants must submit their complete applications through the submission portal.
- The application process opens on July 18th at 10:00 AM. The application deadline is August 19th at 5:00 PM. All applications received outside of that period will not be considered by the Selection Committee but may be resubmitted when the application process reopens.
Selection Process and Timeline
The Scholarship Selection Committee will review all complete applications beginning on August 22nd. The selection process considers each eligible applicant’s academic performance, employment and volunteer experience, financial need, and plans after graduation. The Committee may hold interviews as needed to make a final decision. We will award the scholarship on or about September 2nd. Turco Legal, PC will pay the scholarship funds directly to the winner’s school for the purpose of tuition assistance.
Please note that the personal information you include in the application form (name, email, phone, school, stage in school, expected graduation date, and cumulative GPA) will only be used to select and contact the scholarship winner and notify the other participants of our selection. You will not receive any additional communication from Turco Legal.
Thank you for your interest! We are no longer accepting applications for this scholarship cylce.